1 an arm of a sea or ocean partly enclosed by land; larger than a bay
2 an unbridgeable disparity (as from a failure of understanding); "he felt a gulf between himself and his former friends"; "there is a vast disconnect between public opinion and federal policy" [syn: disconnect, disconnection]
3 a deep wide chasm
- A hollow place in the earth; an abyss; a deep chasm or basin.
- That which swallows; the gullet. William Shakespeare
- That which swallows irretrievably; a whirlpool; a sucking eddy. William Shakespeare
- A portion of an ocean or sea extending into the land; a partially landlocked sea; as, the Gulf of Mexico or Persian Gulf.
- A large deposit of ore in a lode.
Gulf can refer to:
- A bay, usually referring to a large bay that is an arm of an ocean or sea. For example, the Gulf of Mexico is the ninth largest body of water in the world.
- Gulf is also a novella by Robert A. Heinlein.
- A company, see Gulf Oil
- The Gulf http://www.thegulfmusic.com is also a surreal rock band from Cambridge, MA
- JWA Gulf, the Gulf Oil sponsored, 1960s and 1970s motorracing team of John Wyer
- Gulf, North Carolina in the United States
- Gulf County, Florida
- Gulf Islands in the Strait of Georgia, Canada
The Gulf can mean:
- The Gulf is also used to refer to the Gulf War
gulf in German: Golf
gulf in Modern Greek (1453-): Κόλπος
gulf in French: Golfe
gulf in Dutch: Gulf
gulf in Russian: Залив
gulf in Polish: Gulf
gulf in Yiddish: גאלף (ים)
Charybdis, Maelstrom, abysm, abyss, aperture, arm, armlet, arroyo, back stream, backflow, backwash, backwater, bay, bayou, belt, bight, boca, box canyon, breach, break, broaching, canyon, cave, cavity, chap, chasm, check, chimney, chink, clearing, cleft, cleuch, clough, col, coulee, couloir, countercurrent, counterflow, counterflux, cove, crack, cranny, crater, creek, crevasse, crevice, cut, cwm, deep, defile, dell, depth, dig, diggings, dike, disclosure, ditch, donga, draw, eddy, estuary, euripus, excavation, fault, fenestra, fiord, firth, fissure, fistula, fjord, flaw, flume, fontanel, foramen, fracture, frith, furrow, gap, gape, gash, gat, gorge, groove, gulch, gully, gurge, gut, harbor, hiatus, hole, hollow, incision, inlet, interval, joint, kloof, kyle, lacuna, laying open, leak, loch, lough, maelstrom, mine, moat, mouth, narrow, narrow seas, narrows, natural harbor, notch, nullah, opening, opening up, orifice, outlet, pass, passage, passageway, pit, pore, quarry, ravine, reach, refluence, reflux, regurgitation, rent, rift, rime, road, roads, roadstead, rupture, scissure, seam, separation, shaft, slit, slot, slough, sound, space, split, stoma, strait, straits, swirl, throwing open, trench, twirl, uncorking, unstopping, valley, void, vortex, wadi, well, whirl, whirlpool, workings, yawn, yawning abyss